Tuesday 24 July 2012

Letter 3 - Forever

Dear Princess of the winter snow,

I know we met just yesterday at the cliff where we spoke about how we would be so much better if we were animals. The bruise on my hand, when you hit me with the little stick when you got really worked up about my disapproving of your wanting to be a fish, still hurts. I can still see drops of fresh blood oozing out of it every time I prick it with my fingernail. I still disagree that you'd ever pull off being a fish. Fish are cold blooded, they feel no weather, probably no pain either. Their skin is scaly and they always have the same look on their face. They are colourful, but they have the same shade of greyness in their eyes. You, on the other hand are warm even to the worms that you might feast on, as a fish. You shiver in the mildest of breezes and snow gives you goose flesh. Your skin gets transparent with sweat in summers and you change expressions even in your sleep. I can almost tell you what you're dreaming about, just by watching you sleep. Even if you do become a fish, you'd always want to see the sun shine above you. You'd always come on the surface, and if you aren't too careful, die. You should be a horse instead. Wild, yet docile. When you'd run in the meadows, with the wind blowing your golden hair, it would remind me of freedom, and of guiltlessness.
You'd be untamed, unconquered. You never let me a chance to tell you all this yesterday. You started kicking me too soon. Another reason for you to be a perfect horse. Horsess? Mare. Yeah, Mare.

So we met yesterday. And spoke about being animals. And saw some in the clouds. And breathed through the leaves. Remember how porous they were, and how different was their smell? It wasn't a fragrance of a flower, or the aroma of a fruit. It was something in between. Like the smell of a process. Of anticipation. Of belief. Every leaf that I smell from now on, shall remind me of you.

I am trying to get to the purpose of writing this letter, but I keep digressing. Like we do on the way home. How many different roads have we taken before we finally reached the road that brought us home! Anyway, without any digressions now, let me come back straight to the motive of this letter. I am leaving. Possibly forever. I hate that word. Forever. It means nothing. It differs in its meaning and intent every time it's said. My forever, is as long as I know I can come back. I don't see that now. I couldn't tell you yesterday because we were talking about animals and this is too human a discussion. Then we digressed into better things. And then I forgot that I have to leave.

 I am 14 now and I have known you for the past 10 years. I hope I can use that knowledge to always have a chance to know you more. Write to me, like you speak with me. I'll read it like I read you. Remain a Horsess forever. And I shall know you forever.


The lord of Darkness

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Lord of Darkness,

I'll wait for you to return.Till forever lasts.


The Princess of the winter snow.





2 comments:

  1. Every letter I read makes me slow down and drift away from this harried life. I hope you keep writing like this forever and bring peace- to me, to many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try. Till I keep finding these letters in me.

      Delete