Friday 20 July 2012

Letter 1- The perfect snowflake



Dear Lord of Darkness,

Today is my 8th birthday and I’d like to invite you over for my party. My castle will be draped with turquoise hangings and the cake will be a crown. Mom insisted on making the drapes out of pink satins, but I hate pink. I like turquoise because it’s neither pink nor green. It’s in the middle. Mom says, you can never be in the middle. You have to choose sides. But I like both sides, both blue and green. And turquoise is prettier. The other girls don’t like it, most can’t spell it, but you’ll see when you come, that my castle always needed a bit of turquoise. Mom said the cake should be a tiara, but I like crowns. I want to be a king, not a damsel in distress.
Anyway, you should come. And I want a royal steed for my birthday present.  Or a snowflake.

Kindness,
The Princess of the winter snow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Princess of the winter snow,

I found a perfect snowflake for you. It looks like the one we see in the cartoons. It was floating in the air when I caught it. It seemed proud of itself and would actually stay mid-air before floating down again. It reminded me of you. I held it in my palm and ran to give it to you. But when I reached your door, it didn’t look the same. It looks like it was weeping. It had gotten smaller. And the shape wasn’t the same either.  I remember how two months back, for my 9th birthday, you got me the most perfect looking wand.  I actually managed to cast a few spells with it. Though I haven’t perfected it yet, but it’s still the best birthday gift. I can’t give you a weeping, sad looking snowflake. So I’ve decided to come to the party only when I’ve found a royal steed or a perfect snowflake.

Happy Birthday.
The Lord of Darkness.

1 comment:

  1. There's something more enigmatic about this girl. I wonder how sure she is about the things she like at the age of just 8.

    You seem a very seasoned writer, not by the virtue of your writing but by your thoughts. Can't be sure about this untill I read the rest of your posts.

    ReplyDelete